Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

With Graceful Ease

This is it ladies and gentlemen.
The craft that I have been waiting to do for months!
The simplicity of it was amazing, 
I don't know why it took me this long.

The Chalkboard Kitchen Table
Needs:
Table- Got mine for $40 on Craigslist from an odd fellow in Springtown.
It was already mostly restored except the guy put some weird finish on the top that didn't set so it turned everything I wiped it down with brown...thanks. (This wasn't an issue with painting though)
Paint- As you will see from the picture, I used a can of Rust-oleum Chalkboard for $10 at Walmart.
I read alot of blogs on this and they prefer you use the chalkboard spray paint on tables because it has a smoother finish. It was too cold outside and I wasn't about to fume up my apartment with spray paint.
**Some places recommend that  you prime the furniture first and others dont.
I just didn't have the patients for this.
As far as I can see, there's no problem with not priming.
You can if you want to of course.
Brushes- I bought the $4 little tray and roller brush set at Walmart. Kinda cheapy but the table is small enough that I didn't need to buy the fancy stuff.
Tape- My mom had painters tape but I didn't want to make the trip down the street so I just used plain ol' box tape. You'll see it in the pic. I just taped around the edge that I didn't want pained.

The texture came out perfect, not too smooth but not too gritty either. So, the canned paint and roller brushes work perfect. AND THAT'S IT.





The steps are pretty self explanatory!
1. Tape the table.
2. Pour the paint.
3. Roll on an even layer
4. Let it dry!

(I whipped out my hair dryer because I'm impatient)
The whole thing from start to dry finished was probably an hour.
And that's an overshot.

I'm going to add one more coat today just for good measure
Then probably blow dry again :)
Then probably going to wait another day after that to prime it and start using it.
Just to be safe.

I'll post pics when it's all drawn on!
xoxothanks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...